ato logo
Search Suggestion:

It is never too late

Last updated 30 August 2010

If you have acquired assets on or after 20 September 1985 and have not kept records, or your records have inadvertently been destroyed, you can still do something about it.

If you have bought real estate, your solicitor or real estate agent will have kept copies of most of the records you need. You should be able to obtain copies if you ask for them.

If you have made improvements to an investment property, for example, if you built an extension, you can ask for a copy of the builder's receipt for payment.

If you have bought shares in a company or units in a unit trust, your stockbroker or investment adviser should be able to supply you with the information you need.

If you receive an asset as a gift or an inheritance and you did not get a market valuation at the time, a professional valuer can tell you what its market value was at the relevant date.

The main thing is to obtain as many details as possible so you can reconstruct your records, and to make sure you keep sufficient records in the future.