ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Destruction of dwelling and sale of land

Last updated 3 March 2016

If your home is accidentally destroyed and you then dispose of the vacant land on which it was built, you can choose to apply the main residence exemption as if the home had not been destroyed and continued to be your main residence.

A full exemption for the land will apply where it has been used solely for private purposes in association with your home and does not exceed two hectares. You cannot claim the main residence exemption for this period for any other dwelling, except for a limited time if you are changing main residences (see Moving from one main residence to another).