ato logo
Search Suggestion:


Last updated 30 May 2018

This guide will help you complete item 18 Capital gains on your Tax return for individuals (supplementary section) 2018.

If you sold or otherwise disposed of shares, or units in a unit trust (including a managed fund) in 2017–18, read part A of this guide, then work through part B.

If you received a distribution of a capital gain from a managed fund in 2017–18, read part A of this guide, then work through part C.

Managed funds include property trusts, share trusts, equity trusts, growth trusts, imputation trusts and balanced trusts.

Small business CGT concessions

If you are involved in the sale of shares or units for a small business and you would like more information, see CGT concessions.

Investments in foreign hybrids

A foreign hybrid is an entity that was taxed in Australia as a company but taxed overseas as a partnership. This can include a limited partnership, a limited liability partnership and a United States limited liability company.

If you have an investment in a foreign hybrid (referred to as being a member of a foreign hybrid), you are now treated as having an interest in each asset of the partnership for Australian tax purposes.

As a consequence, any capital gain or capital loss made with respect to a foreign hybrid or its assets is taken to be made by the member.

General value shifting regime

If you own shares in a company or units (or other fixed interests) in a trust and value has been shifted in or out of your shares or units, you may be affected by value shifting rules. Generally, the rules only affect individuals who control the company or trust, or individuals who are related to individuals or entities that control the company or trust.

Forestry managed investment schemes

There are specific CGT rules where secondary investors or subsequent participants hold forestry managed investment scheme (FMIS) interests on capital account. These rules apply to FMIS interests sold or disposed of in 2007–08 and later income years.

For more information see Guide to capital gains tax 2018.