ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Notification by mail of a deceased person

Use this form to officially notify us by mail of a person's death and of who will be managing the estate.

Last updated 21 December 2021

Use the paper form to officially notify us by mail of a person's death and of who will be managing the estate.

Better ways to do this

You can complete an online form and present your supporting documents at an Australia Post outlet.

This way you can keep your supporting documents. You do not need to send us certified copies, which will not be returned to you.

What you can do with this form

You can:

It takes up to 28 days to update the deceased person's records after we receive your form.

If your form is incomplete, or the supporting documents are not certified correctly, the process may be delayed. You may need to send another notification.

If you are the legal personal representative (LPR), you can use this form to request a data package of the deceased person's tax and super information.

What you will need

Include your supporting documents when you mail the form.

We accept only certified copies of your original documents. We cannot accept documents that have been amended or altered in any way.

We will not return documents that you mail to us.

In some states, grant of probate and letters of administration can be applied for online and a paper version is not issued. These are stored electronically and can be accessed through the relevant supreme court website. You will need to print the document and have the paper version certified.

Death certificate

You need to provide the death certificate.

If you do not have it:

  • Contact the births, deaths and marriages registry in your state or territory. They can issue a death certificate.
  • If the person died overseas, obtain a death certificate from the appropriate overseas authority.

Grant of probate or letters of administration

The LPR has full authority to manage the deceased's tax affairs.

To be authorised as the LPR, you need to provide:

  • for an executor – grant of probate from the supreme court
  • for an administrator – letters of administration issued by the supreme court.

If more than one LPR needs to be added as an authorised contact, each of them will need to complete and submit their own form.

If you submitted an official notification of death before you had the grant of probate or letters of administration, you can resubmit this form to provide these documents to us. We will then list you as the LPR in our records.

If you do not have probate or letters of administration

If you have decided not to apply for probate or letters of administration, provide the will (if there is one).

We will add your name to the records of the estate, with a note that you are managing the estate's tax affairs.

However, you will not be recorded as the LPR or authorised contact on the deceased person's record. This means there are legal restrictions on the information and funds we can release to you.

Change of name

If the deceased's name is different to the name in the supporting documents, you will need to provide one of the following documents, issued by an Australian state or territory registrar of births, deaths and marriages:

  • updated birth certificate
  • name change certificate
  • marriage certificate.

Legal practitioners and tax agents

If you are a legal practitioner or tax agent appointed by the LPR, you can officially notify us of the person's death and the identity of the LPR.

You must lodge the required documents and information by mail:

  1. Complete the Notification of a deceased person (NAT 74279, PDF 241KB)This link will download a file and have it signed by the LPR.
  2. Attach
    1. certified copies of the required supporting documentation
    2. authorisation of your appointment to act on behalf of the LPR, on your firm's letterhead.
  3. Mail these to
    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 3006
    PENRITH NSW 2740

We will then record the LPR and you as authorised contacts on the deceased person’s record.

We will not return documents that you mail to us.

What else you can do

Find out more about managing a deceased estate.