ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Completing your application

Last updated 9 January 2005

The instructions that follow will take you through each part of the application. Download one hereThis link will download a file and start with item 1 below.

Item 1 Your tax file number (TFN)

Write your tax file number on page 1 of your application. If you are not sure of your tax file number or need to apply for one, phone the Tax Office on 13 28 61.

Item 2 Were you an Australian resident for the whole income year?

You must be an Australian resident for tax purposes for the whole period 1 July 2003 to 30 June 2004 to apply for a refund of franking credits.

The standards we use to determine your residency status are not the same as those used by the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs. Generally, if you have always lived in Australia or you have come to Australia to live permanently, we will consider you a resident for tax purposes.

If you need help in deciding whether or not you are an Australian resident for tax purposes, phone the Tax Office on 13 28 61.

Items 3 to 9 Personal details

Please complete all these items accurately to avoid delays in processing.


If you want to lodge by phone, the name and address details we have for you must be current. If anything has changed or you are unsure what details you last gave us, you will have to phone us on 13 28 61 to update or check the details before you lodge the application for a refund.

Item 10 Do you want your refund paid directly into your financial institution account?

By using electronic funds transfer (EFT) the Tax Office can deposit your refund directly into an Australian bank, credit union or building society account of your choice. EFT gives you quicker access to your money. Direct deposit is not available on the full range of accounts. If you are in doubt, check with your financial institution. If you would like to use EFT, print X in the Yes box.

Write the following information on your application:

  • The bank state branch (BSB) number. This is a 6-digit number that identifies the financial institution. The BSB number can be found on your account statement or cheque form.
  • Your account number as shown on account records. Your account statement, cheque book or other document from your financial institution will show this information.
  • Your account name - also called 'account title' - as shown on your account records. Quote the account name as it is shown on your account records. Include a space between each word and between any initials in your account name.


If you printed X in the No box, a cheque will be sent to your postal address.

If you want to lodge by phone and use EFT, we must have your current account details. To update or provide new EFT details you must notify us in writing. If you are unsure what details are on file, phone us on 13 28 61.

Item 11 Dividends

If you received a distribution statement from a managed fund or received Australian franking credits from a New Zealand company, print X in the Yes box. This will help us process your application.

Your dividend or distribution statement should show the amount of:

  • unfranked and franked dividends you received
  • franking credits
  • TFN amounts withheld or deducted (if applicable).


TFN amounts are only withheld if you did not provide your tax file number to the investment body.

A dividend statement from a New Zealand company will show the amount of Australian franking credits (if any) you can claim. To help you calculate the amounts to show at item 11 use the worksheet.