These instructions will take you through each part of the application.
Item 1 Your tax file number (TFN)
Write your TFN on page 1 of your application. If you are not sure of your TFN or need to apply for one:
- Apply for a TFN, or
- phone us 13 28 61.
You must be an Australian resident for tax purposes for the whole period 1 July 2018 – 30 June 2019 to apply for a refund of franking credits.
We work out your residency using our standards rather than those used by the Department of Home Affairs. Generally, if you have always lived in Australia or you have come to Australia to live permanently, you are a resident for tax purposes.
- Work out your residency status for tax purposes
- phone 13 28 61
Items 3 – 8 Personal details
Complete these items accurately to avoid delays in the processing of your application.
We need your current name and address on our records before you lodge your application by phone. If anything has changed or you are unsure what details you last gave us, you may need to update your name and address.
If you will be lodging your application form by mail, we need to have your current name on our records. If your name has changed or you are unsure what name you last gave us you may need to update it.
- Update your details
- phone 13 28 61
Item 9 Electronic funds transfer (EFT)
Complete your account details even if you have provided them to us before. Joint accounts are acceptable.
Complete the following:
- BSB number (this number has six digits, do not include spaces or hyphens)
- account number (this number has no more than nine digits, do not include spaces or hyphens)
- account name, as it appears on the bank account records. Include blank spaces where required. If the account name exceeds 32 characters, provide only the first 32 characters.
Item 10 Dividends
If you received a distribution statement from a managed fund or Australian franking credits from a New Zealand company, print X in the YES box.
If you have more than one dividend or distribution statement, you can use the worksheet to help you calculate the amounts to show at item 10.
At S, T, U and V write your:
- unfranked amount
- franked amount
- franking credit (also known as imputation credit)
- TFN amounts withheld or deducted from dividends (if applicable).
Your dividend or distribution statement should show these amounts.
‘Tax file number amounts withheld from dividends’ are only withheld if you did not provide your TFN to the investment body.
A dividend statement from a New Zealand company will show the amount of Australian franking credits (if any) you can claim.
Total dividend income
Add up the amounts shown at S, T and U on your application and write the total at $ Total dividend income.
You can't use this application if you are:
- 18 years old or older on 30 June 2019 and your total dividend income amount is more than $18,200, or
- you are under 18 years old on 30 June 2019 and your total dividend amount is more than $416.
If you can't use this application you will need to lodge a tax return to claim your refund of franking credits.
Read, sign and date Your declaration on page 2 of the application.