ato logo
Search Suggestion:

More information

Last updated 29 May 2019


  • Phone lodgment 13 28 65
    Lodge your application for refund of franking credits by phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • Progress of refunds 13 28 65
    Check the progress of your refund of franking credits by phone or at Progress of return.

    By phone, we have an automated self-help service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You will need to key in your tax file number (TFN) using your phone keypad.

    If you sent your application by ordinary post, wait 11 weeks before phoning to check on the progress of your application.

    If you lodged your application by phone, wait three weeks before phoning.
  • Individual 13 28 61
    Individual income tax and general personal tax enquiries, including
    • refund of franking credits
    • TFN
    • whether you need to lodge a tax return
    • request for extra copies of the application for refund of franking credits
    • whether you are an Australian resident for tax purposes.
  • Business 13 28 66
    Information about business income tax, fringe benefits tax (FBT), fuel tax credits, goods and services tax (GST), pay as you go (PAYG) and activity statements, including:
    • lodgment and payment
    • accounts and business registration (including Australian business number and tax file number)
    • dividend and royalty withholding tax.
  • Superannuation 13 10 20

Other services

If you do not speak English well and need help from the ATO, phone the Translating and Interpreting ServiceExternal Link (TIS National) on 13 14 50.

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can phone us through the National Relay Service (NRS) on the numbers listed below, and ask for the ATO number you need:

  • TTY users, phone 13 36 77 (for ATO 1800 free call numbers, phone 1800 555 677)
  • Speak and Listen (speech to speech relay) users, phone 1300 555 727 (for ATO 1800 free call numbers, phone 1800 555 727)
  • internet relay users, connect to National relay service call numbersExternal Link

Calls from your home phone to a 13/1300 number from anywhere in Australia are charged at a fixed rate. That rate may vary from the price of a local call and may also vary between phone service providers. Calls to an 1800 number from your home phone are free. Calls from a public phone and mobiles may be timed and charged at a higher rate.


To get publications and forms:

Tax Help

Tax Help is a free and confidential service for people earning around $60,000 or less a year with simple tax affairs. People who use Tax Help include seniors, people from non-English speaking backgrounds, people with a disability, Aboriginal people, Torres Strait Islander people, and students.

We train and support this network of community volunteers to help you. Tax Help is available between 1 July and 31 October each year.

If you need assistance with completing your application, there are Tax Help centres throughout Australia. If you want to visit one of the trained volunteers, you need to make an appointment first. When you visit, you will need to bring:

  • this publication, Refund of franking credits instructions and application for individuals 2019 and
  • all your dividend and distribution statements.

Next steps: