ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Goods and services tax

Last updated 3 December 2005

If you are registered for goods and services tax (GST) and GST was payable in relation to rental income you derived, do not include the GST in the amounts you show as income in your tax return.

Similarly, if you are registered for GST and entitled to claim input tax credits for rental expenses, you do not include the input tax credits in the amounts of expenses you claim. If you are not registered for GST or the rental income was from residential premises, you include any GST in the amounts of rental expenses you claim.

For further information, call the Business Tax Reform Infoline on 13 28 66.