ato logo
Search Suggestion:

What is TaxPack?

TaxPack 2006 is designed to help you complete your 2006 tax return for individuals.

Last updated 6 November 2014

TaxPack is a print publication designed to help you to complete your individual income tax return. TaxPack is divided into two parts:

  • TaxPack 2006 with the 2006 tax return for individuals
  • TaxPack 2006 supplement with the 2006 tax return for individuals (supplementary section).

If you are an Australian resident and a retiree, you may be eligible to use Retirees TaxPack 2006.

Your options on completing and lodging your tax return read Guide to lodging your tax return.

Do I need the TaxPack 2006 supplement?

Can I use the Retirees TaxPack 2006?

TaxPack 2006 information

While TaxPack is designed to help individuals complete their income tax returns, many people also use it as a basic reference to the Australian tax system. The information in TaxPack has been rewritten into a series of web pages and published across this site.

You can search or browse the site to find general information about:

  • income you must declare
  • deductions and tax offsets you are entitled to claim, and
  • tax rates and calculations.

If you would prefer to download TaxPack 2006 in Portable Document Format (PDF), refer to the list of download files.

Do I need the TaxPack 2006 supplement?

The majority of taxpayers can lodge their returns using TaxPack 2006 alone. You will also require the TaxPack 2006 supplement if you have:

  • income or a loss from  
    • a partnership or trust
    • personal services income
    • a business
    • a deferred non-commercial business loss
    • a net farm management deposit or withdrawal
    • a capital gain
    • a foreign entity
    • rent
    • a bonus from a life insurance company or friendly society
    • foreign sources, or foreign assets or property
    • certain other income, such as scholarships, royalties and benefits from an employee share scheme
  • deductions for  
    • project pool
    • investment in the Australian film industry
    • undeducted purchase price of a foreign pension or annuity
    • non-employer sponsored superannuation contributions
    • certain other deductions, such as election expenses, sickness and accident insurance premiums, and foreign exchange losses
  • tax offsets for  
    • superannuation contributions on behalf of your spouse
    • zone or overseas forces
    • net medical expenses over a specified limit
    • parent, spouse's parent or invalid relative
    • landcare and water facility
    • people in the simplified tax system (STS) or people who received a distribution from a partnership or trust that was in the STS
    • heritage conservation work
    • interest from the land transport facilities tax offset scheme or infrastructure borrowings scheme
    • work or services performed in the Joint Petroleum Development Area of the Timor Sea
  • credit for early payments or overpayments of tax
  • adjustments for amounts on which family trust distribution tax has been paid.

Note: If you are using TaxPack 2006 supplement, you must also use TaxPack 2006 to complete all of your tax return.

Can I use Retirees TaxPack 2006?

You are eligible to use Retirees TaxPack 2006 to fill in your tax return if:

  • you were an Australian resident for tax purposes from 1 July 2005 to 30 June 2006, and
  • you had no dependants other than a spouse during the period 1 July 2005 to 30 June 2006, and
  • all of your tax affairs are covered by the questions in Retirees TaxPack 2006 as listed below  
    • income  
      • Commonwealth of Australia government pensions and allowances
      • dividends - not including distributions made by a corporate limited partnership and deemed dividends from a private company
      • foreign source pension or annuity income
      • gross interest
      • other Australian pensions or annuities - including superannuation pensions
      • salary, wages, allowances, earnings etc
      • total reportable fringe benefits amounts
      • capital gains - not including distributions of capital gains by a trust or managed investment fund
    • deductions  
      • cost of managing tax affairs
      • deductible amount of undeducted purchase price of an Australian pension or annuity
      • deductible amount of undeducted purchase price of a foreign pension or annuity
      • subscriptions
      • gifts or donations
      • interest and dividend deductions
    • tax offsets  
      • senior Australians
      • pensioner
      • spouse - married or de facto
      • superannuation annuity and pension
      • private health insurance
      • net medical expenses over a specified limit
    • private health insurance policy details
    • Medicare levy related items

If you plan to claim the family tax benefit (FTB) through the tax system, you cannot use Retirees TaxPack; you will need to get TaxPack 2006.


FTB can be claimed with short tax return too - but only lodged using paper and not phone. 

What if I can't read standard print?

Vision Australia produces free tapes and compact disks of TaxPack  2006, TaxPack 2006 supplement, and Retirees TaxPack 2006 for people with a vision impairment.

To obtain a copy, phone Freecall 1800 644 885. Your tax questions cannot be answered on this number.