Show download pdf controls
  • Main residence



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    Generally, you can ignore a capital gain or capital loss from a CGT event that happens to your ownership interest in a dwelling that is your main residence (also referred to as 'your home').

    To get full exemption from CGT:

    • the dwelling must have been your home for the whole period you owned it
    • the dwelling must not have been used to produce assessable income, and
    • any land on which the dwelling is situated must be 2 hectares or less.

    If you are not fully exempt, you may be partially exempt if:

    • the dwelling was your main residence during only part of the period you owned it
    • you used the dwelling to produce assessable income, or
    • the land on which the dwelling is situated is more than 2 hectares.

    Short absences from your home – for example, annual holidays, do not affect your exemption.

    Last modified: 04 Mar 2016QC 27527