Show download pdf controls
  • How do I claim a deduction?

    To claim a deduction for your contribution you must give your super fund a valid notice of your intent to claim a deduction, in the approved form, on or before the day you lodge your tax return (or the end of the next income year, whichever occurs first), and the fund must have given you acknowledgment of the receipt of the notice.

    Your super fund will give you an acknowledgment of a valid notice. Once your notice of intent to claim a deduction has been acknowledged, you cannot revoke or withdraw it, but you can apply to reduce it, within certain timeframes.

    You will claim the personal super contributions deduction in your personal income tax return after you have received an acknowledgment from your fund of your intent to claim the deduction.

    Once you have lodged your tax return you cannot apply to vary the amount you are claiming as a deduction, unless we have disallowed your claim for the deduction.

    Note: Send your completed notice of intent to your super fund. Do not send it to us.

    Last modified: 18 Oct 2018QC 19310