Superannuation standard choice form
This form advises employers of the employees choice of fund, employers can use it to advise of their nominated fund.
On this page
Use the form to offer eligible employees their choice of superannuation (super) fund. You must fill in the details of your nominated super fund, also known as your default fund, before giving the form to an employee.
From 1 November 2021, if you have new employees start, you may have an extra step to take to comply with choice fund rules if they don't choose a super fund. You may now need to request their stapled fund details from us.
Do not send this form to the ATO. Completed forms must be retained by employers for 5 years.
Use the form to advise an employer of your choice of super fund. You need to provide the information requested so your employer can make contributions to your nominated super fund.
Where your super guarantee should be paid is your choice. You let your employer know your choice of fund by completing this form.
From 1 November 2021, if you start a new job and you do not provide your employer with your choice of super, most employers will need to check with us for an existing super account. We may provide your employer with a stapled super fund to pay your super into. A stapled super fund is an existing super account which is linked, or 'stapled', to an individual so that it follows them as they change jobs.
This change aims to reduce account fees by stopping new super accounts from being opened every time you start a new job.
We will notify you if your employer makes a stapled super fund request and include the fund details we have provided.
How to complete this form
Employees can access and complete pre-filled forms through either:
- ATO online services via myGov
- access the forms through the Employment menu
- the employer's Australian business number (ABN) and their nominated super fund's unique superannuation identifier (USI) will be needed to complete this form
- Their employer's employee commencement-enabled payroll software, if available.
- Download the Standard choice form (PDF, 341KB)This link will download a file (NAT 13080)
- Enter data electronically and then print the form out – you cannot save an electronic copy after you have typed data into this form.
- Give this form to your employer to action. Note – do not send it to the ATO.
This form collects information that employers will need when using SuperStream. SuperStream is the way employers pay contributions and send information to super funds.
Information for employers
Information for employees
Last modified: 04 Aug 2022QC 17983