Show download pdf controls
  • Registering for GST and other taxes

    You may need to register for GST and other taxes, depending on the type of business you're running. If any of these taxes apply to you, you need to register for them.

    If you're applying for an ABN, you can register for taxes, such as GST and pay as you go (PAYG) withholding, at the same time (if you need to).

    If you need help, phone the Business tax infoline on 13 28 66.

    Find out about:

    Goods and services tax

    Goods and services tax (GST) is a tax of 10% on most goods and services sold in Australia.

    If you're registered for GST, you must include GST in the price of goods and services you sell to your customers. You need to show the GST as a separate amount on the tax invoice.

    You then send these 10% GST amounts to us, usually four times each year. To do this you lodge a business activity statement (BAS), which we will send you if you're registered for GST.

    Do you have to register for GST?

    You need to register for GST if:

    • you're in business and your GST turnover is $75,000 or more a year (or you think it will be)
    • you're a taxi driver, or
    • you want to claim fuel tax credits for your business.

    If your GST turnover is less than $75,000, you don't have to register for GST but you can choose to register if you want to.

    Registering for GST means you can claim back the GST you pay on goods and services you buy for your business – as long as you have a tax invoice from your supplier.

    See also:

    PAYG withholding

    If you have employees or contractors working for you, you must withhold tax from payments you make to them. This is known as pay as you go (PAYG) withholding. You need to register for PAYG withholding.

    You need to register for PAYG withholding before your withhold the first amount.

    See also:

    Fringe benefits tax

    As an employer, you have to pay fringe benefits tax (FBT) if you provide fringe benefits to your employees. Some examples of fringe benefits are:

    • private use of a work car or mobile phone
    • paying for their private health insurance or on-site accommodation
    • cheap loans, entertainment or goods.

    If you give your employees fringe benefits, you must register for FBT. You need to tell us you've made these payments by lodging an FBT return. You must send your FBT return to us after the end of the FBT year, which runs from 1 April to 31 March each year.

    See also:

    Fuel tax credits

    If you use fuels as part of your business – for example, for machinery, equipment or heavy vehicles – you may be able to claim fuel tax credits.

    With fuel tax credits, we pay you back the tax you paid for the fuel. To register for fuel tax credits you also need to register for GST.

    You cannot make a claim for some types of fuels and activities – for example, driving a light vehicle on a public road.

    See also:

    Last modified: 12 Jan 2016QC 39605