We publish quarterly statistical reports for the self-managed super fund (SMSF) market. The contents of this report have been worked out following valuable feedback from the superannuation industry.
The information in this report includes:
- SMSF population and asset allocation tables
- Annual SMSF population analysis tables
- asset allocation by asset value of the fund
- membership sizes (SMSFs with one, two, three or four members)
- demographics (state break-up of SMSFs, members and assets)
- member demographics (age and income of members)
- total asset ranges (distribution of the size of SMSFs)
- average and median assets (per member and per SMSF)
- flow of funds (contributions, transfers, benefits and expenses).
- SMSF quarterly establishment tables
- A number of tables no longer report historical data from before 2010 – to view all data from before 2010, refer to
- Self-managed super fund statistical report – June 2012
- Self-managed super fund statistical report – June 2013
- Self-managed super fund statistical report – June 2014.
To find out more see Statistics explanatory notes.
It is worth noting that most of the information in this report is estimated, and caution should be taken when using or presenting this data. The estimates have been based on the data provided by SMSFs reporting their financial position as at 30 June of the relevant financial year.
The SMSF population and asset allocation tables are updated on a quarterly basis. The next report will cover the period up to 30 September 2015 and should be available in November 2015. The remainder of the tables are updated annually when the June quarter updates are published.
If you would like to provide comments, or you have questions about this report, email us at SPR_smsfstats@ato.gov.au
This email address is only for comments and questions about published SMSF data.