We publish quarterly statistical reports for the self-managed super fund (SMSF) market. This report has been developed taking into account valuable feedback from the superannuation industry.
The information in this report includes:
- SMSF population and asset allocation tables
- Annual SMSF population analysis tables
- asset allocation by asset value of the fund
- membership sizes (SMSFs with one, two, three or four members)
- demographics (state break-up of SMSFs, members and assets)
- member demographics (age and income of members)
- total asset ranges (distribution of SMSFs by the asset size of SMSFs and the assets held)
- average and median assets (per member and per SMSF)
- flow of funds (contributions, transfers, benefits and expenses)
- SMSF quarterly establishment tables
- A number of tables no longer report historical data from before 2013 – to view all data from before 2013, refer to historical data.
- To access the data tables in XLS format – see Appendix 1 (XLXS, 223KB)This link will download a file.
- We also produce an annual SMSF statistical publication – see Self-managed super funds: a statistical overview 2014–15.
Note: Most of the information in this report is estimated. Caution should be taken when using or presenting this data. The estimates have been based on the data provided by SMSFs reporting their financial position as at 30 June of the relevant financial year.
The SMSF population, asset allocation and establishment tables are updated on a quarterly basis. The remainder of the tables are updated annually when the June quarter updates are published. The next report will cover the period up to 31 December 2017 and should be available in February 2018.
If you would like to provide comments, or you have questions about this report, email us at SPR_smsfstats@ato.gov.au
This email address is only for comments and questions about published SMSF data.
Find out about: