Your self-managed super fund (SMSF) needs to be set up correctly so that it's eligible for tax concessions, can receive contributions and is as easy as possible to administer.
To set up an SMSF you need to:
- Consider appointing professionals to help you
- Choose individual trustees or a corporate trustee
- Appoint your trustees or directors
- Create the trust and trust deed
- Check your fund is an Australian super fund
- Register your fund and get an ABN
- Set up a bank account
- Get an electronic service address
- Prepare an exit strategy
Before you set up an SMSF, download Starting a self-managed super fund (PDF, 1.6MB)This link will download a file. It will help you understand if an SMSF is right for you and guide you through how to set one up.
Media: Setting up an SMSF
https://tv.ato.gov.au/ato-tv/media?v=bi9or7odeedxueExternal Link (Duration: 02:50)