ato logo
Search Suggestion:

How superannuation applies to temporary residents

If you're a temporary resident of Australia, check your entitlement to superannuation while working and when you depart.

Last updated 1 August 2023

Superannuation (or 'super') is a form of saving for retirement in Australia.

When you work in Australia, your employer may be required to make super contributions to a super fund on your behalf. Generally, this does not depend on your visa (so long as you have work rights) or tax residency status.

To work out if you're entitled to super, use our Am I entitled to super tool. If you are, you may be able to choose where and how your super is invested.

Super is designed as an investment for retirement. But if you leave Australia after having worked here on a temporary resident visa, you may be eligible to claim your super (less tax) as a Departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP).

You can only submit a DASP claim after you have left Australia and your visa has expired. However, you can start the application process before you leave, which may make it easier to complete.

If you receive a DASP, you're also entitled to a refund of any Division 293 tax you paid.

New Zealand citizens are not eligible for a DASP. However, New Zealand residents or citizens may be able to transfer any Australian super they have accumulated to a KiwiSaver scheme provider or have it directly paid to themselves if eligible. This includes unclaimed super money held by the ATO. See Trans-Tasman retirement savings transfers.

We provide basic information on Australia's tax and superannuation system in other languages.