To change your gender details you will need to provide a certified copy of one of the following documents:
- a valid Australian Government travel document, such as a valid passport that specifies your preferred gender (sex)
- a state or territory birth certificate that specifies your preferred gender (sex)
- a document from a state or territory Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages recognising a change of gender (sex)
- a statement from a Registered Medical Practitioner or Registered Psychologist which specifies your preferred gender (sex).
If you use a statement from a Registered Medical Practitioner or Registered Psychologist, the statement needs to include:
- the medical practitioner or psychologist's letterhead including their full name and contact details
- a declaration from the medical practitioner or psychologist stating that they have treated you or evaluated your history
- your full name and the gender (sex) you choose to identify with
- the medical practitioner or psychologist's signature
- the medical practitioner or psychologist's registration number from the Medical Board of Australia or Psychology Board of Australia or an equivalent overseas authority.
You also have the option to record your gender (sex) as indeterminate in your ATO record.
If you can't provide the necessary documentation to update your gender (sex) information, we can still help by removing the courtesy title from your record such as Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss.
We can't change your recorded gender (sex) over the phone unless we have recorded it incorrectly from an identity document supplied at registration.
We can change or remove your title without documentation:
- In Australia, phone 13 28 61 between 8:00 am–6:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
- Outside Australia, phone +61 2 6216 1111 between 8:00 am–5:00 pm AEST and ask them to transfer you to 'Personal tax enquiries'.
To update your gender details, write to us and include all of the following:
- the name and address that we have recorded for you
- your new name and title (if applicable)
- a request that we update your gender (sex) information
- your signature
- your supporting document as listed above.
You should mail us a certified copy of the original document. Don't alter or amend it in any way. We may not return documents you mail to us therefore don't mail original documents. We do not accept certified copies of digital identity documents.
Send your letter and supporting documents to us at:
Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 3373
ALBURY NSW 2640
We'll update your records within 28 days of receiving your request in writing.You can ask us to change your gender (sex) information by providing a certified copy of certain documents.