Each income year you need to assess your personal circumstances to work out if you need to lodge a tax return. Reasons you need to lodge a tax return may include if you:
- had any tax taken out (withheld) from income you receive
- had $1 or more of foreign income
- pay or receive child support
- had business or investment income
- are leaving Australia and have a study or training support loan.
Before you lodge, find out what's new for individuals this tax time.
To lodge your tax return, we recommend you have all of the following information available. You will need your:
- bank account details (BSB and account number)
- income statement or payment summaries from all of your employers
- payment summaries from Centrelink (Services Australia)
- receipts or statements for the expenses you are claiming as deductions
- your spouse's income (if you have one)
- private health insurance information (if you have cover).
If you lodge your tax return online using myTax, we will pre-fill most of this information for you. To lodge online you will need to link the ATO to your myGov account.Find out what's new or is changing the year and work out if you need to lodge a tax return.