ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Dividend deductions

How to claim dividend deductions when you lodge your return using myTax.

Last updated 12 June 2014

Expenses include:

  • fees for investment advice relating to changes in the mix of your shares or similar investments
  • interest paid on money borrowed to purchase shares or similar investments
  • costs relating to managing your shares or similar investments, such as travel and buying specialist investment journals or subscriptions.

If you were an Australian resident for tax purposes when a listed investment company (LIC) paid you a dividend and the dividend included a LIC capital gain amount, you can claim a deduction of 50% of the LIC capital gain amount. The LIC capital gain amount appears separately on your dividend statement.

If you had joint share investments or similar shared investments, show only your share of joint expenses.

If you borrowed money to purchase assets for your private use and income-producing investments, you can claim only the portion of the interest expenses relating to the income-producing investments.

For more information, including if you had interest on investments under a capital protected borrowing, you can read question D8.

Completing your tax return

  1. Add up all your expenses for this item.
  2. Click on 'add expense'.
  3. Enter your description and the total.
  4. Click on 'Save'.
Instructions on completing your individual tax return using myTax.