We may have pre-filled your return with payment summary information provided to us. Check for any of the following payments you received that are not pre filled and ensure you add them:
- Newstart allowance
- Youth Allowance
- Austudy payment
- parenting payment (partnered)
- partner allowance
- sickness allowance
- special benefit
- widow allowance
- exceptional circumstances relief payment
- interim income support payment
- an education payment of any of the following when you were 16 years old or older
- ABSTUDY living allowance
- payment under the Veterans’ Children Education Scheme
- payment shown as ‘MRCA Education Allowance’ on your payment summary
- other taxable Commonwealth education or training payments
- an income support component from a Community Development Employment Project (CDEP)
- a CDEP scheme participant supplement
- disaster recovery allowance.
Answering this question
You will need:
- your PAYG payment summary – individual non-business, or
- a letter from the agency that paid your allowance or payment stating the amount you received.
If you do not have this information, contact the agency that paid you.
Completing your tax return
1. Select the button labelled 'Australian Government payments such as Newstart, Youth Allowance and Austudy'.
2. From your payment summary or letter enter:
- the benefit description
- your taxable amount
- the tax withheld
- your remote area allowance (if any).
3. Click on 'Save'.