You can claim the seniors and pensioners tax offset if you meet certain conditions relating to:
- eligibility for Australian Government pensions or allowances, and
If you have a spouse:
- you also need to work out whether they were eligible
- you may not get the seniors and pensioners tax offset even if you meet all the eligibility conditions as the amount of the tax offset is based on your individual rebate income, not your combined rebate income.
You cannot claim this tax offset if you were in jail for the whole of 2013–14.
Answering this question
If you are eligible for this tax offset, we will use the information you provide at this question to work out the amount of your tax offset for you.
Use the beneficiary tax offset and seniors and pensioners tax offset calculator to work out:
- whether you are eligible for this tax offset
- your tax offset and veteran code, and
- an estimate of your tax offset.
Completing your tax return
- Select your tax offset code using the drop down list.
- Select your veteran code using the drop down list, if one applies. Otherwise do not select any code.
- We will use this and other information you provide in your return to work out any tax offset amount.