ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Work-related travel expenses

How to complete myTax if you have work-related expenses.

Last updated 9 June 2016

We have pre-filled your tax return with work-related travel expense information provided to us. Check for work-related travel expenses that are not pre-filled and ensure you add them.

This is about travel expenses you incur that are directly related to your work as an employee. They include:

  • public transport, including air travel and taxi fares
  • bridge and road tolls, parking fees and short-term car hire
  • meal, accommodation and incidental expenses you incur while away overnight for work
  • expenses for motorcycles and vehicles with a carrying capacity of one tonne or more, or nine or more passengers, such as utility trucks and panel vans
  • actual expenses (such petrol, oil and repair costs) you incur to travel in a car that is owned or leased by someone else.

If your employer provided a car for you or your relatives’ exclusive use and you were entitled to use it for non-work purposes, you cannot claim a deduction for running costs (petrol, repairs). However, you can claim expenses such as parking and bridge and road tolls for work-related use.

For examples of trips you can and cannot claim, see Car and travel expenses.

Depreciation and capital allowances tool

You can use the Depreciation and capital allowances tool to work out any deductible decline in value. To access the tool, select the 'Work it out' link in the Deductions or tax losses from earlier income years section on the Prepare return screen.

Reasonable allowance amounts

If your travel allowance was not shown on your payment summary and was equal to or less than the reasonable allowance amount for your circumstances, you do not have to include the allowance as income provided that:

  • you have fully spent the allowance on deductible work-related travel expenses. and
  • you do not claim a deduction for these expenses.

You must see Work-related travel expenses if your allowance was above the reasonable allowance amounts or you had shifting places of employment.

Want to know what work-related expenses you may be entitled to claim?

For more information and videos to help you understand what you can claim, see Deductions you can claim.

Completing this section

You must have written evidence for the whole of your claim.

  1. For each work-related travel expense that has not been pre-filled in your tax return, select Add and enter information into the corresponding fields.
  2. Select Save.
  3. Select Save and continue.

Note: If you used the Depreciation and capital allowances tool, fields containing information from the tool cannot be directly adjusted in myTax. To make any adjustments to this information, or to add new assets to the tool, select Work it out.