ato logo

Income tests

How to complete the Income tests section of your return using myTax.

Last updated 26 May 2016

We use income tests to work out whether you:

  • can claim certain tax offsets and the amount you are entitled to receive
  • can receive some government benefits or concessions
  • are entitled to a rebate for your private health insurance
  • must pay Medicare levy surcharge or have a HELP, Financial Supplement or Trade support loan repayment liability
  • must pay tax.

We may also pass this information to other government agencies, such as Services Australia, to ensure you are receiving your correct entitlement to government benefits. It will also be used to determine any child support payments.

Some income tests are calculated by myTax using the information you provide in your tax return. They are Net financial investment loss and Net rental property loss.

You must enter the required information for the remaining income tests in this section.

Total reportable fringe benefit amounts and Reportable employer superannuation contributions are two income tests that are not shown in this section. They are shown elsewhere in myTax. For more information, see Other income tests not shown in this section.