ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Superannuation contributions on behalf of your spouse

How to claim super contributions made on behalf of your spouse in your return using myTax.

Last updated 26 May 2016

You may be entitled to a tax offset if you made contributions to a complying superannuation fund or a retirement savings account (RSA) on behalf of your spouse.

You will be entitled to a tax offset of up to $540 per year if:

  • the sum of your spouse's assessable income, total reportable fringe benefits amounts and reportable employer superannuation contributions was less than $13,800
  • the contributions were not deductible to you
  • the contributions were made to a superannuation fund that was a complying superannuation fund for the income year in which you made the contribution
  • both you and your spouse were Australian residents when the contributions were made, and
  • when making the contributions you and your spouse were not living separately and apart on a permanent basis.

For more information, see Superannuation contributions on behalf of your spouse.

Completing this section

  1. Enter your spouse's reportable employer super contribution shown on your spouse's payment summaries.
  2. Enter your spouse's assessable income. For the purposes of this offset your spouse's assessable income is their total income before deductions less any loss amount, unless they:
    • had a distribution from a partnership or trust
    • had income or losses from rent or business (including personal services income)
    • had a capital gain or foreign source income
    • made a deposit into a Farm Management Deposit Scheme Account, or
    • claimed a deductible amount for a foreign pension or annuity.

If any of these apply phone 13 10 20 for help to work out your spouse's assessable income.

  1. Enter the total of your contributions you have paid.
  2. Select Save and continue when you have completed the Offsets section.