ato logo
Search Suggestion:

myTax 2017 Income tests

How to complete the Income tests section of your return using myTax.

Last updated 11 June 2017

We use income tests to work out whether you:

  • can claim certain tax offsets and the amount you are entitled to receive
  • can receive some government benefits or concessions
  • are entitled to a rebate for your private health insurance
  • must pay tax
  • must pay Medicare levy surcharge
  • have a Higher Education Loan Program, Student Financial Supplement Scheme, Student Start-up Loan, ABSTUDY Student Start-up Loan or Trade Support Loan repayment liability.

We may also pass this information to other government agencies, such as the Department of Human Services, to ensure you are receiving your correct entitlement to government benefits. It will also be used to determine any child support payments.

Some income tests are calculated by myTax using the information you provide in your tax return. They are Net financial investment loss and Net rental property loss.

You must enter the required information for the remaining income tests in this section.

Total reportable fringe benefit amounts and Reportable employer superannuation contributions are two income tests that are completed elsewhere in myTax. For more information, see Other income tests completed elsewhere in myTax.