ato logo
Search Suggestion:

myTax 2018 Australian Government allowances and payments

How to report allowances and payments from the Australian Government in myTax.

Last updated 27 June 2018

This section is about the following Australian Government payments:

  • Newstart allowance
  • Youth allowance
  • Austudy payment
  • parenting payment (partnered)
  • partner allowance
  • sickness allowance
  • special benefit
  • widow allowance
  • farm household allowance
  • an education payment of any of the following when you were 16 years old or older  
    • ABSTUDY living allowance
    • payment under the Veterans’ Children Education Scheme
    • payment shown as ‘MRCA Education Allowance’ on your payment summary
  • other taxable Commonwealth education or training payments shown on your payment summary
  • an income support component from a Community Development Employment Project (CDEP)
  • a CDEP scheme participant supplement
  • disaster recovery allowance
  • disaster income support allowance for special category visa (subclass 444) holders.

Record keeping

Keep all statements and payment summaries with your records.

Do not show at this section

Do not show the following amounts at this section:

  • any Australian Government allowances and payments that are not taxable. Show these at Tax-free government pensions in the Income test section. For more information, see Amounts that you do not pay tax on.
  • any parental leave payments or dad and partner payments. Show these at Salary, wages, allowances, tips, bonuses etc in the Payment summaries section.
  • the balance of the amount for emergency and general assistance payments shown on your Centrelink PAYG payment summary. Show this at Australian Government special payments in the Payment summaries section.

Completing this section

You will need:

  • your PAYG payment summary – individual non-business, or
  • a letter from the agency that paid your allowance or payment stating the amount you received.

If you do not have this information, contact the agency that paid you.

We have pre-filled your tax return with payment summary information provided to us.

Check for any other payments you received that are not pre-filled and ensure you add them.

  1. For each Australian Government payment or allowance that has not been pre-filled in your tax return, select Add and enter information into the corresponding fields.
  2. Select Save.
  3. Select Save and continue.

Beneficiary tax offset

You may be entitled to a tax offset on this income.

Tax offsets reduce the amount of tax you have to pay.

If you received one or more of the payments listed above, you may be entitled to a Beneficiary tax offset. You do not have to work out your tax offset. We work it out for you from the answers you give at this section. If you want to work out your beneficiary tax offset, you can use the Beneficiary tax offset calculatorThis link opens in a new window.

If you are eligible for both the Seniors and pensioners tax offset and the Beneficiary tax offset, you are entitled to receive only one of these offsets. We will work out which one gives you the highest tax offset.