Based on the information available in your return, myTax will automatically display some tax offsets.
Tax offsets that are automatically displayed
No selections are necessary on the Personalise return screen for the following items, but they will display on the Prepare return screen:
- Seniors and pensioners (including self-funded retirees) – if you have an Australian Government pension or allowance, or are over 60 years old.
- Foreign income tax offset – if you have foreign income and have paid foreign tax.
- Australian super income stream – if you have income from Australian super income streams.
Tax offsets you will need to select if they are relevant to you
If you are entitled to claim tax offsets, you will need to select 'You are claiming tax offsets, adjustments or a credit for early payment' and then select the items that are relevant to you.
If you are unsure which items apply to you, or to read more about these items, select from the links below.
Other tax offsets include:
- Super contributions on behalf of your spouse – if you had a spouse
- Total net medical expenses for disability aids, attendant care or aged care – if you are an Australian resident for tax purposes
- Invalid and invalid carer
- Landcare and water facility
- Early stage venture capital limited partnership
- Early stage investor, and
- any other non-refundable or refundable offsets.
National rental affordability scheme tax offset
If you wish to claim the national rental affordability scheme tax offset, you will need to select Partnerships or Trusts, even if you have not received any partnership or trust distributions. While the myTax section is specific to partnerships and trusts, all individuals making a claim for this offset must use this section.