Things to know
For this section, regardless of their income, a dependent child is your child who is either:
- under 21 years old
- 21 to 24 years old and a full-time student at a school, college or university.
The child must be an Australian resident and you must have contributed to their maintenance.
You maintained a dependant if any of the following applied:
- you both lived in the same house
- you gave them food, clothing and lodging
- you helped them to pay for their living, medical and educational costs.
We use this information to determine whether you are entitled to an increase in the income test threshold for the:
- private health insurance rebate
- Medicare levy surcharge.
Completing this section
We pre-fill your tax return with the number of dependent children from your 2019 tax return.
At Personalise return, you don't need to make a selection to show Income tests, as it's always displayed at Prepare return.
At Prepare return, select 'Add/Edit' at the Income tests banner.
At the Income tests heading:
- Check the Number of dependent children and correct if necessary.
- Select Save and continue when you have completed the Income tests section.