ato logo
Search Suggestion:

myTax 2022 Business and professional items

How to complete the business and professional items section of your return using myTax.

Last updated 31 May 2022

Completing this section

Complete this section if you selected either of the following at Personalise return:

  • Personal services income.
  • Business income or loss.

We pre-fill your tax return with information from the Personal services income toolThis link opens in a new window

You need details of your main business activity, including your Australian business number.

The business and professional items section will be automatically displayed if, at Personalise return, you have selected:

  • You were a sole trader or had business income or losses, partnerships or trust distributions (not from a managed fund)
  • Business/Sole trader income or loss, and either of:      
    • Personal services income
    • Business income or loss

At Prepare return select 'Add/Edit' at the Business/sole trader, partnership and trust income (including loss details) banner.

At the Business and professional items banner:

  1. Answer the question Did you receive any personal services income?
    For more information, see Personal services income
    If Yes, go to step 2. Otherwise go to step 6.
  2. Answer the question Did any activity satisfy the results test?
    For more information, see Results test
    If No, go to step 3. Otherwise go to step 6.
  3. Answer the question Have you received a personal services business determination(s) that was in force for the whole of the period you earned PSI?
    For more information, see Apply for a PSB determination
    If No, go to step 4. Otherwise go to step 6.
  4. Answer the question Did you receive 80% or more of your PSI from one source?
    For more information, see The 80% rule
    If No, go to step 5. Otherwise go to step 6.
  5. Answer the following questions:      
  6. Complete the remaining fields and questions (where displayed) in this section:      
    • Main business or professional activity – Select the main business or professional activity description where your gross income comes from.
      If you are having difficulty finding an appropriate description, see Having difficulty finding a Main business or professional activity?
    • Number of business activities – Enter the number of separate and distinct business activities you operated as a sole trader and in partnership during 2021–22. The number of business activities you show here should not be less than the number you show at Loss details
    • Main business name – The registered business name of your main business activity should be consistent. It should only be updated when there is a name change or when it is no longer the main business activity.
      If the business name is legally changed with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC), advise us in writing at the time the change is made. The current business name should be shown on your tax return
    • Main business address – Enter the street address of the place where most of your business operations are conducted.
  7. Select Save.

Having difficulty finding a Main business or professional activity?

If you are, we recommend you take the following steps:

  1. Enter your activity into the Business industry code search toolThis link opens in a new window
  2. From the search tool results, click on the link for the most appropriate description for your activity.
  3. From here, you will see a number and a description (for example 69320 Accounting Services). Enter this description at Main business or professional activity in myTax.  

More information

The following information may assist you when you are completing either Personal services income or Business income or losses:

Carrying on a business and business concessions

It is important to understand whether you are carrying on a business for tax and other purposes. Are you in business? provides guidance so you'll know when you need to register for tax and other business responsibilities.

If you are a business, there are a range of concessions based on your aggregated turnover.

Record keeping

Recording your income and expenses is essential to understanding what money goes through your business and why. You need to keep records explaining all transactions that relate to your tax affairs, including Record keeping for PSI.

As a business, you must keep detailed records for all transactions related to your tax and superannuation affairs as you start, run, sell, change or close your business. See Record keeping for business for information to help you understand the requirements for businesses to meet your tax, superannuation and employer obligations

Employer obligations

Your superannuation and employer obligations require that you offer your employees a choice of super fund. You must identify eligible employees, provide a Standard choice form and act on the employee's choice.