The number of days you don’t have to pay the MLS will depend on your circumstances.
If myTax displays the:
- Number of days you do not have to pay the surcharge field, you will need to work out the number of days
- 'You do not have to pay the Medicare levy surcharge' alert, go to Completing this section (step 4).
Use the following instructions to work out and enter the number of days you don't have to pay the surcharge.
Choose the link that matches your circumstances to see how to complete the number of days.
- For the whole of 2021–22, you were single (with or without dependent children).
- For the whole of 2021–22, you had a spouse (with or without dependent children).
Note: If your spouse died during 2021–22, you're treated as having a spouse for the whole year if:
- you had a spouse on 1 July 2021, and
- you didn't have another spouse on or before 30 June 2022.
- Your family circumstances changed during the year – this could mean that you:
- had a new spouse
- separated from your spouse
- became or ceased to be a sole parent.