Eligible education expenses are items that support a child's or independent student's primary or secondary school education. They include the purchase, lease, hire or hire-purchase costs, repairs and running costs of:
- laptops, home computers and associated costs
- computer-related equipment such as printers, USB flash drives, as well as disability aids to help in the use of computer equipment for students with special needs
- home internet connections, including the costs of establishing and maintaining them
- computer software for educational use
- word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software, internet filters and antivirus software
- school textbooks and other paper-based school learning material, including prescribed textbooks, associated learning materials, study guides and stationery
- prescribed trade tools - for example, tools required to complete a school-based apprenticeship.