The ETR is 50% of eligible education expenses you incurred.
For the period 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2011, you can claim up to:
- $794 for each eligible child in primary school - that is, a refund of $397
- $1,588 for each eligible child in secondary school - that is, a refund of $794.
How much you can claim depends on whether you have either:
- full care of the child
- you have shared care of the child
- an agreed percentage.
You have an agreed percentage if either of the following applies:
- you split your FTB with your spouse
- you are not eligible for FTB and you don't have a written agreement to state who will claim the ETR. In this case you will each have to claim half the ETR.