ato logo
Search Suggestion:

If you are an independent student

Last updated 7 February 2019

You are eligible to claim an ETR for the 2010-11 income year if, on a certain day during the period 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2011, you incurred eligible education expenses and you:

  • received a social security pension or benefit, a labour market program payment or a prescribed educational scheme payment including any of the following      
    • Youth Allowance
    • ABSTUDY living allowance
    • Veterans' Children Education Scheme and payments under the scheme to provide education and training under section 258 of the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
    • a disability support pension 
  • were an independent person for the purpose of the payment
  • were undertaking full-time secondary school studies at secondary school or an education institution such as a TAFE
  • were under 25 years of age
  • were an Australian resident (within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991) or a special category visa holder (within the meaning of the Migration Act 1958)
  • lived in Australia.

You do not have to be eligible for the entire year to be able to claim the ETR. You can claim the ETR for any period during the income year you met the eligibility requirements.