ato logo

About question 5

Complete question 5 to declare allowances and payments received from the Australian Government.

Last updated 28 June 2011

Question 5 image from tax return for individuals form

This question is about the following Australian Government payments:

  • parenting payment (partnered)
  • Newstart allowance
  • Youth Allowance
  • partner allowance
  • sickness allowance
  • special benefit
  • widow allowance
  • Austudy payment
  • exceptional circumstances relief payment
  • interim income support payment
  • an education payment of any of the following when you were 16 years old or older
    • ABSTUDY living allowance
    • payment under the Veterans' Children Education Scheme
    • payment under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme 2004, shown as 'MRCA Education Allowance' on your PAYG payment summary - individual non-business
  • other taxable Commonwealth education or training payments
  • an income support component from a Community Development Employment Project (CDEP) shown as 'Community Development Employment Projects (CDEP) payments' on your PAYG payment summary - individual non-business
  • a CDEP scheme participant supplement.

Do not include any Australian Government allowances and payments that are not taxable, show these at item IT3 Tax-free government pensions - see Amounts that you do not pay tax on.

Do not include any parental leave payments; show these at item 1 Salary or wages.

Did you receive any of these payments?





Read below.

Answering this question

You will need:

  • your PAYG payment summary - individual non-business, or
  • a letter from the agency that paid your allowance or payment stating the amount you received.

If you have not received this information or you have lost it, contact the agency that paid you.

Completing your tax return

Step 1

Add up the tax withheld shown on each of your payment summaries and letters.

Write the total under Tax withheld at the left of A item 5.

Step 2

Add up the income shown on each of your payment summaries and letters.

Write the total at A item 5.

Tax tips

If you received Newstart allowance or were a Youth Allowance job seeker, you may be able to claim some of your expenses as a deduction at item D15 in TaxPack 2011 Supplement. For more information see What's new this year?

Helpful hint

If you prepare your tax return online using e-tax, you can use the pre-filling service to download these payments directly to your tax return.

Where to go next