ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Important information 2013

Provides important information and instructions to complete and lodge your tax return.

Last updated 12 February 2019

Who can complete your tax return?

You can get someone else to complete your tax return for you.

  • A family member or friend can help you but they cannot charge you a fee. You must still sign it and you are still legally responsible for the accuracy of the information.
  • Tax Help is a free service provided by community volunteers trained to help people on low incomes prepare their tax returns. Tax Help operates out of approved community-based centres. Volunteers do not charge a fee for their assistance.
  • Only a registered tax agent can charge you a fee for preparing your tax return.

Lodge your tax return by 31 October 2013

You have until 31 October 2013 to lodge your tax return, unless we have allowed you to lodge it late, or you have a later due date because a registered tax agent prepares your tax return.

If you cannot lodge your tax return by 31 October 2013 contact us as soon as possible, before 31 October 2013, to find out whether you can lodge at a later date.

Failure to lodge on time penalty

We may apply a penalty for failure to lodge on time if your tax return is not lodged by the due date.

Generally, we apply a penalty of $170 for every 28 days (or part thereof) that your tax return is overdue, to a maximum of $850. We may apply the penalty even where there is no tax payable. However, our policy is not to apply a penalty where:

  • you lodge your tax return voluntarily, and
  • no tax is payable.

Where to send your tax return

Within Australia

If you decide to lodge a paper tax return, you can use the pre-addressed envelope provided to send it to us, or send it to:

Australian Taxation Office
GPO Box 9845
[insert the name and postcode of your capital city]

For example;

Australian Taxation Office
GPO Box 9845

From overseas

You can lodge your tax return online - go to for more information. Most refunds are issued within 12 business days and you have the option to use the pre-filling service which downloads information reported to the ATO directly to your tax return.

Alternatively, you can lodge a paper tax return and use the pre-addressed envelope to send it to us. Change the address by crossing out IN YOUR CAPITAL CITY and replace with SYDNEY NSW 2001, AUSTRALIA.

It will help us if you cross out the barcode above the address.

Your right to make a complaint

If you are dissatisfied with our services, actions or a decision we have made, you have the right to make a complaint.

We recommend that you first try to resolve the issue with the tax officer you have been dealing with, or by following the instructions given to you.

If you are not able to resolve your issue you can escalate the matter, for example, by asking to speak to the tax officer's manager.

If your issue is still not resolved, you can phone our complaints line on 1800 199 010.

Other ways to make a complaint:

Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 1271
Albury NSW 2640

  • send a fax to 1800 060 063.

The Commonwealth Ombudsman

You can contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman at any time to make a complaint about the ATO.

The Commonwealth Ombudsman's office can investigate complaints relating to tax administration and may recommend that we provide a solution or remedy to your problem. Investigations are independent, private, informal and free of charge.

To contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman's office:

The Commonwealth Ombudsman
GPO Box 442
Canberra ACT 2601

The Privacy Commissioner

The Privacy Commissioner receives complaints under the Privacy Act 1988 and the Tax File Number Guidelines 2011 issued under the Act. To contact the Privacy Commissioner:

The Privacy Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001