ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Contributions and gifts to registered political parties and independent candidates and members

Last updated 27 May 2013

You can claim a deduction for contributions or gifts to registered political parties, independent members of parliament (state or Commonwealth) or independent candidates in an election for parliament. Contributions must be $2 or more. The contribution or gift must be of money or property that you purchased during the 12 months before making the contribution or gift. If it is property, the amount deductible is the market value of the property at the time of the donation or the amount you paid for the property, whichever is less.

If the total of all your contributions and gifts to political parties during the year is greater than $1,500 then the maximum amount you can deduct is $1,500. A separate deduction limit of $1,500 applies if the total of all your contributions and gifts to independent candidates or independent members of parliament for the year exceeds $1,500.

You cannot claim a deduction for a political gift or contribution of $2 or more (including membership fees) to registered political parties, independent candidates and members of an Australian legislature if you make the gift or contribution in the course of carrying on a business.

The contribution must be to a political party that is registered under Commonwealth, state or territory electoral laws.

The contribution to an independent candidate or independent members must be to a candidate for election to, or member of, the Commonwealth Parliament, a state parliament, or the legislative assembly of the Northern Territory or Australian Capital Territory.

An independent candidate is an individual whose candidature in an election for parliament is not endorsed by a registered political party. An independent member is a member of parliament who is not a member of a registered political party.