ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Income that you show on the supplementary section of the tax return 2020

Instructions for completing income questions in the supplementary section of the tax return.

Last updated 27 May 2020

You need to complete the Tax return for individuals (supplementary section) 2020 if you had any of the following types of income or losses.

Types of income

  • Partnership and trust distributions
  • Personal services income (other than salary and wage income) – see Note 1
  • Income from a business, including one where you were self-employed
  • Income under a pay as you go (PAYG) voluntary agreement
  • Income from which an amount was withheld because you did not quote your Australian business number
  • Income you received as an independent contractor under a labour hire arrangement
  • Income you earned as a non-employee taxi driver, for example, a driver operating under a standard bailment agreement with an owner-operator
  • Income from which an amount was withheld due to the operation of foreign resident withholding
  • Income you deposited into a farm management account
  • Income you withdrew from a farm management account
  • A capital gain, for example, on disposal of a capital gains tax (CGT) asset
  • A distribution from a foreign entity
  • Income attributed to you from a controlled foreign company or a transferor trust (foreign income)
  • Income shown on a foreign employment payment summary
  • Any other foreign employment income
  • Income from a foreign source, including foreign pensions and foreign dividends, for example, New Zealand dividends with Australian franking credits – see Note 2
  • Rent
  • Bonuses from life insurance companies and friendly societies
  • Forestry managed investment scheme income
  • Gains from financial arrangements calculated under the taxation of financial arrangements (TOFA) rules
  • Other income not shown at items 1 to 12

Note 1: Personal services income includes the following payments specified by regulation ('specified payments'):

  • income as a performing artist in a promotional activity
  • payment for tutorial services provided for the Indigenous Student Success Programme (formerly known as the Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme) of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
  • payment for translation and interpretation services for the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) of the Department of Home Affairs.

Note 2: You must also complete the supplementary section of the tax return if:

  • you own foreign assets (including an interest in a foreign life policy or foreign company or trust, or shares)
  • you have ever directly or indirectly caused the transfer of property (including money) or services to a non-resident trust estate.

'Other income' includes:

  • amounts released by one or more of your superannuation funds greater than the excess contributions tax liability stated on the release authority (the release authority is sent to you with the notice of assessment for excess contributions tax)
  • lump sum payments in arrears (except those relating to superannuation, you show these at item 7)
  • jury attendance fees
  • foreign exchange gains
  • royalties
  • bonus amounts distributed from friendly society income bonds
  • taxable scholarships, bursaries, grants and other educational awards
  • benefits and prizes from investment-related lotteries and some game-show winnings
  • income from your activities as a special professional, such as author of a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work; an inventor; a performing artist; a production associate or an active sportsperson
  • reimbursements of tax-related expenses or election expenses which you have claimed as a deduction
  • assessable balancing adjustments from the disposal, loss or destruction of any depreciating asset, including your car, for which you have claimed a deduction for decline in value
  • payments from sickness and accident insurance policies other than those shown on your payment summary
  • interest from infrastructure borrowings if you intend to claim a tax offset at item T9
  • gains from the disposal or redemption of traditional securities
  • allowances or payments you received as a member of a local government council that you have not already shown at item 1 or 2
  • other taxable allowances or payments you received from Department of Human Services that are not shown at item 5 or 6
  • work-in-progress amounts you received and have not shown at item 15.

Types of losses

  • A business loss (including one when you were self-employed)
  • A deferred non-commercial business loss
  • A capital loss, for example, on disposal of a CGT asset
  • Non-capital loss from the disposal or redemption of traditional securities

Did you have any of these types of income or losses?


Go to Total income or loss 2020, or return to main menu Individual tax return instructions 2020.


Read on.

Answering this question

You can get a copy of the return form Tax return for individuals (supplementary section) 2020 at Order ATO publications. You may also need to read Individual tax return instructions supplement 2020.

If you were a partner in a partnership that made a loss, had business or personal services income, or deferred non-commercial losses, you should lodge your tax return using myTax or a registered tax agent.

If you are unable to use myTax or a registered tax agent, contact us on 13 28 66 and we will mail you a paper tax return and Business and Professional items schedule.

Completing your tax return

After completing all details that are relevant to your circumstances on the Tax return for individuals (supplementary section) 2020, transfer the Total supplement income or loss amount on page 15 to item I on page 3 of your Tax return for individuals 2020. If it is a loss, print L in the Loss box beside it.

Where to go next