This question is about the following Australian Government payments:
- age pension
- bereavement allowance
- carer payment
- disability support pension, if you have reached age-pension age
- education entry payment
- parenting payment (single)
- age service pension
- income support supplement
- Defence Force income support allowance (DFISA) where the pension, payment or allowance to which it relates is taxable
- DFISA-like payment from the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
- Veteran payment
- invalidity service pension, if you have reached age-pension age
- partner service pension.
Do not include any Australian Government pensions or allowances that are not taxable. For a list of the most common types of exempt Australian Government pensions, allowances and payments, see Amounts that you do not pay tax on 2021.
You may need to show the amounts that are not taxable at item IT3 Tax-free government pensions or benefits 2021
Did you receive any of the payments listed above?
Go to question 7 Australian annuities and superannuation income streams 2021, or return to main menu Individual tax return instructions 2021.
Answering this question
You will need:
- your PAYG payment summary – individual non-business, or
- a letter from the agency that paid your pension, allowance or payment stating the amount that you received.
If you have not received this information, or you have lost it, contact the agency that paid you.
Completing your tax return
Add up the tax withheld shown on each of your payment summaries and letters.
Write the total under Tax withheld at the left of B item 6.
Add up the income shown on each of your payment summaries and letters.
Write the total at B item 6.
Keep all statements and payment summaries with your records.
You may be entitled to a tax offset on this income. Make sure you work through question T1 Seniors and pensioners (includes self-funded retirees) 2021 to see whether you are entitled to a tax offset.
Where to go next
- Go to question 7 Australian annuities and superannuation income streams 2021.
- Return to main menu Individual tax return instructions 2021.
- Go back to question 5 Australian Government allowances and payments 2021.