Show download pdf controls
  • Interest, dividend and other investment income deductions

    You can claim a deduction for expenses incurred in earning interest, dividend or other investment income.

    You can't claim a deduction if you receive an exempt dividend or other exempt income. If you attend an investment seminar, you are only entitled to claim a deduction for the portion of travel expenses relating to some investment income activities.

    On this page:

    See also:

    Interest income expenses

    You can claim account-keeping fees for an account held for investment purposes – for example, a cash management account. You will find these fees listed on your statements.

    If you have a joint account, you can only claim your share of fees, charges or taxes on the account. For example, if you hold an equal share in an account with your spouse, you can only claim half of any allowable account-keeping fees paid on that account.

    You can't claim any deduction for interest on your personal tax debt – for example, on a loan to pay your personal tax debt.

    See also:

    Dividend and share income expenses

    You can claim a deduction for interest charged on money borrowed to buy shares and other related investments that you derive assessable interest or dividend income from.

    Only interest expenses incurred for an income-producing purpose are deductible.

    If you used the money you borrowed for both private and income-producing purposes, you must apportion the interest between each purpose.

    What you can claim

    • Ongoing management fees or retainers and amounts paid for advice relating to changes in the mix of investment.
    • A portion of other costs if they were incurred in managing your investments, such as:
      • some travel expenses
      • the cost of specialist investment journals and subscriptions
      • borrowing costs
      • the cost of internet access
      • the decline in value of your computer.
    • If you were an Australian resident when a listed investment company (LIC) paid you a dividend, and the dividend included a LIC capital gain amount, you can claim a deduction of 50% of the LIC capital gain amount.

    See also:

    What you can't claim

    You can't claim a fee charged for drawing up an investment plan unless you were carrying on an investment business.

    Some interests are not deductible where money is borrowed under a capital protected borrowing arrangement to buy shares, units in unit trusts and stapled securities. It is treated as the cost of the capital protection feature.

    Forestry managed investment scheme deduction

    If you make payments to a forestry managed investment scheme (FMIS), you may be able to claim a deduction for these payments if you:

    • currently hold a forestry interest in an FMIS, or held a forestry interest in an FMIS during the income year, and
    • have paid an amount to a forestry manager of an FMIS under a formal agreement.

    You can only claim a deduction if the forestry manager has advised you that the FMIS satisfies the 70% direct forestry expenditure rule in Division 394 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997.

    See also:

    Last modified: 15 Jun 2020QC 31945