• Working holiday makers

    If you work in Australia, tax will be withheld from your pay and you'll be obligated to lodge a tax return each year.

    The Australian income year starts 1 July and ends on 30 June the following year.

    From 1 January 2017 – as a working holiday maker – the first $37,000 of your income is taxed at 15%, with the balance taxed at ordinary rates.

    You are a working holiday maker if you have a visa subclass:

    • 417 (Working Holiday)
    • 462 (Work and Holiday).

    You can check your visa status using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online serviceExternal Link.

    When you lodge a tax return, we will work out how much tax you should have paid. If you paid too much, we will give you a refund. If you have not paid enough, we will send you a bill.

    As a working holiday maker your employer also has to pay super for you if you are eligible. When you leave Australia you can apply to have your super paid to you as a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP). The tax on any DASP made to working holiday makers on or after 1 July 2017 is 65%.

    Applying for a tax file number

    If you plan to work in Australia you need a tax file number (TFN). Your TFN is your personal reference number in our tax system. You can apply for a TFN online once you have your work visa.

    You don't have to have a TFN, but you pay less tax if you have one.

    See also:

    Resident or not?

    Most people who come to Australia for a working holiday or to visit will remain foreign residents for tax purposes. This includes people on visa subclass 417 (Working Holiday) or 462 (Work and Holiday) (backpackers).

    See also:

    Starting work – TFN declaration

    When you start work, you give your employer a TFN declaration. This tells the employer everything they need to know to work out how much tax to withhold from your pay.

    Your employer will check if you have a visa subclass 417 (Working Holiday) or 462 (Work and Holiday), but you should tell them anyway to ensure they tax you correctly.

    Only employers of working holiday makers are required to register with us as employers of working holiday makers. Working holiday makers do not register.

    If your employer is registered with us they will withhold tax from your pay at 15% on the first $37,000 of income.

    Example 1

    Gorge is on a 417 Working Holiday visa and has started work for Paul's pickles. As Paul is a registered employer of working holiday makers, 15% tax will be withheld from Gorge's pay.

    Gorge earned $500 in the first week and had $75 tax withheld.

    End of example

    If your employer is not registered with us as an employer of working holiday makers they must withhold tax from your pay using foreign resident tax rates. Foreign resident tax rates start at 32.5%.

    Example 2

    Aleks is on a 417 Working Holiday visa and started working for Pamela's berries. As Pamela is not registered as an employer of working holiday makers, Pamela will withhold tax at the foreign resident tax rates starting at 32.5%

    Aleks earned $500 in the first week and had $162.50 tax withheld.

    End of example

    Started work before 1 January 2017 – TFN declaration

    If you were working for an employer before 1 January 2017 you will have given them a TFN declaration when you started. There is no need to give them a new TFN declaration, but you should tell them about your visa subclass anyway to ensure they tax you correctly and you don't end up with a debt.

    Finishing work – payment summary

    When you finish work, you will receive a payment summary showing how much you earned and how much tax was withheld from your pay. You use the information in the payment summary to complete your tax return.

    Only income earned from 1 January 2017 is eligible for the working holiday maker tax rates. You will receive a separate payment summary for any income from this date.

    Your employer will also report the details from the payment summary to us.

    If you worked for the same employer before and after 1 January 2017, your employer will give you two payment summaries. Income earned before 1 January 2017 is taxed at ordinary rates. Income earned from 1 January 2017 is taxed at 15%. When you lodge your tax return it is important that your income is included correctly to ensure that you aren't over-taxed.

    Lodging a tax return

    The Australian income year ends on 30 June each year. You are required to lodge a tax return to make sure you have paid the right amount of tax.

    If you leave Australia permanently before 30 June, you can lodge your tax return early.

    When you lodge a tax return, we work out how much tax you should have paid based on your actual income for the year. If too much was withheld from your pay, we refund you the difference. If you have not paid enough, we will send you a bill.

    We automatically apply the correct tax rates and thresholds based on the information you include in your tax return. Make sure that any income you earn as a working holiday maker from 1 January 2017 is correctly shown on the tax return.

    Example 3

    Louie lives in Belgium and is planning a working holiday in Australia.

    In preparation for his trip Louie applies for a TFN, indicating that he is not an Australian resident for tax purposes. He is granted a 417 visa before his arrival in Australia.

    On 10 January 2017, Louie starts work with Bob's mango farm in Far North Queensland. As part of the normal employment process, Louie gives Bob a TFN Declaration and tells him that he is a working holiday maker on a 417 visa.

    As Bob is a registered employer with us, the first $37,000 of Louie's income is taxed at 15%.

    Louie is paid weekly and earns $100 a day. After 5 days work, Louie receives his first pay of $500, from which $75 tax is withheld and sent to us.

    Louie finishes working for Bob in April after earning a total of $6,000. Bob gives Louie a payment summary showing he earned a total of $6,000 and had $900 tax withheld.

    On 1 July 2017 Louie lodges a tax return indicating he is a non-resident. He shows his $6,000 working holiday maker income, tax withheld of $900 and $500 deductions related to his employment.

    Once processed, Louie receives a Notice of Assessment showing a taxable income of $5,500 and a tax on taxable income of $825.

    As Louie paid $900 in tax, he receives a refund of $75 paid directly to his Australian bank account.

    End of example

    Lodging a 2017 tax return early

    If you lodge your 2017 tax return before 1 July 2017 you need to provide additional information. To make sure we tax you correctly, attach a note showing:

    • income earned from 1 July 2016 to 31 December 2016
    • working holiday maker income earned from 1 January 2017 to 30 June 2017
    • any deductions associated with the income periods.

    Do not submit two separate tax returns for 2017.

    Tax comparison

    The working holiday maker tax rate is different to the tax rate for Australian residents.

    The working holiday maker tax rate is 15% until you earn $37,000.

    Australian resident taxpayers get the first $18,200 tax free (known as the tax free threshold), and then pay 19% until they earn $37,000.

    Our Individual income tax rate page shows the most up to date rates and thresholds, including those above $37,000. Australian residents, foreign residents and working holiday makers pay the same tax rates on income over $37,000.

    The following examples will give you a good idea of how this works, and the key differences between working holiday makers and Australian residents.

    Example 4

    Klaus is a German backpacker on a 417 visa and earned $37,000 between 1 January 2017 and 30 June 2017.

    Klaus will pay 15% of his income in tax.

    $37,000 × 15% = $5,550


    • does not pay the Medicare levy (he is not entitled to use the Medicare system)
    • is not entitled to the low income tax offset (as a foreign resident).

    In total, Klaus will pay $5,550 tax.

    End of example


    Example 5

    Richelle is an Australian resident and earned $37,000 in the 2017 income year.

    Richelle gets the first $18,200 of her income tax free. Richelle will pay 19% tax on the income between $18,200 and $37,000.

    That works out to be:

    ($37,000 − $18,200) × 19% = $18,800 × 19% = $3,572

    In addition, Richelle also:

    • pays the Medicare levy of 2% = $37,000 × 2% = $740
    • is entitled to a credit for the low income tax offset = $445

    In total, Richelle pays $3572 + $740 − $445 = $3,867 tax.

    End of example

    Impact on the tax free threshold

    Most working holiday makers will be foreign resident taxpayers and not be eligible for the tax free threshold.

    If you are a resident, you will be eligible for the tax free threshold but it will be impacted by any working holiday maker income you earn. Any working holiday maker income is dealt with first and effectively reduces your tax free threshold.

    Example 6

    Ian is a working holiday maker and his circumstances allowed him to claim residency for the whole 2017 year which entitles him to a tax free threshold of $18,200.

    Ian earned $15,000 for the period 1 July 2016 – 31 December 2016 and $5,000 for the period 1 January 2017 – 30 June 2017.

    Ian will be taxed at 15% on the $5,000 earned as a working holiday maker. The first $5,000 of the tax free threshold is then used by the working holiday maker income leaving $13,200 of the tax free threshold. The tax free threshold applies to the $13,200 of ordinary income and this is taxed at 0%. The remaining $1,800 of the ordinary income is taxed at 19%.

    End of example

    Departing Australia Superannuation Payments (DASP)

    Employers are required to make super contributions on behalf of their eligible employees to fund retirement.

    If you worked and earned super as a working holiday maker, your super will be taxed at 65% when it is paid to you. This DASP tax rate for working holiday makers is effective from 1 July 2017.

    You can apply for the DASP after you left Australia and met all eligibility.

    See also:

    Last modified: 18 Apr 2017QC 50742