Family tax benefit (FTB) Part A
What is FTB Part A?
FTB Part A helps with the cost of raising children. It is paid to a parent, guardian, carer (including foster carer), eligible grandparent or approved care organisation.
To be eligible for FTB Part A you must:
- have a dependent child aged under 16, or
- have a dependent child aged 16-20 years who has completed a Year 12 or equivalent qualification, or who is undertaking full-time education or training leading to a Year 12 or equivalent qualification, or who is exempt, or
- have a dependent full-time student aged 21-24, and
- have care of the child for at least 35 per cent of the time, and
- meet the income test, and
- are an Australian resident, or a special category visa holder residing in Australia, or are the holder of a certain temporary visa.
A child or student cannot be a dependant if they:
- are in your primary care for less than 35% of the time
- receive a pension or benefit
- receive a labour market program payment such as Youth Allowance
- are aged 5 to 15, not studying full-time and their annual income is over the child income limit
- are aged 16-20 and have neither completed a Year 12 or equivalent qualification, or are undertaking full-time education leading to a Year 12 or equivalent qualification and are not exempt from this requirement
- are aged 16 to 19, not in full-time secondary study and have an annual income that is over the child income limit
- are aged 16 to 21 and receiving a prescribed education scheme payment such as ABSTUDY
- are aged over 19 and have an annual income that is over the child income limit, or
- are aged 21 and are not a dependent full-time student.
Find out more
Visit humanservices.gov.auExternal Link
Phone 13 61 50 between 8.00am and 8.00pm (local time), Monday to Friday.
Visit any Medicare office or Centrelink service centre.
Phone 13 12 02 if you do not speak English well.
Use the teletypewriter (TTY) service on 1800 810 586 if you have a hearing or speech impairment. (This service is only available via a teletypewriter machine.)