ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Basic myGovID – proof of identity without a TFN

Prove your identity to access our online services with a Basic myGovID where you don't have an Australian TFN.

Last updated 30 August 2021

To access Online services for business or Online services for agents using a Basic myGovID you need to prove your identity.

This page explains how to do this if you don't have an Australian tax file number (TFN).

How to complete proof of identity requirements

You need to complete and send us the ATO use of Basic myGovID (NAT 75249, PDF, 182KB)This link will download a file form.

You need to include copies of two identity documents. The identity documents we accept are shown on the form. These documents should be certified. We will consider uncertified identity documents if COVID-19 restrictions mean you can't get them certified.

If you want your documents returned to you, you need to request this at the time of lodging and include your return postal address.

Once we have received and checked your documents, you'll receive a confirmation email.

Find out more about:

Certifying your identity documents

The following individuals are authorised to certify your identity documents outside of Australia:

  • notary publics
  • employees of an Australian
    • embassy
    • high commission
    • consulate – including consulates headed by Austrade honorary consulates.

The certifier needs to do the following in your presence:

  • stamp, sign and annotate the copy of the identity document to state 'I have sighted the original document and certify this to be a true and correct copy of the original document sighted'
  • initial each page
  • list their name, date of certification, phone number and position.

See also:

Consideration for uncertified identity documents

Due to COVID-19 restrictions we may accept uncertified identity documents. If you can't certify your identity documents, you can tell us this on your form in Section B. You can then send your form with your uncertified documents to us for consideration.

If we accept your uncertified documents, we will request certified copies of your identity documents in future.

Identity documents not in English

If you provide documents that are in a language other than English, you must also provide an English translation made by an approved translation service.

All translations must include a statement from the authorised translator that it is a ‘true and correct translation made from the document sighted’.

The translation should also display an official stamp, or similar, showing the certifier’s accreditation.

Translations should also be accompanied by a certified copy of the original document in the language of origin, which has been stamped and signed as a true and correct copy by an approved certifier.

To obtain translations outside Australia and find an approved translator you can contact your nearest:

  • Australian embassy
  • high commission
  • consulate.

See also: