These instructions are for the principal authorityExternal Link or authorised representative of an entity:
- with an Australian business number (ABN)
- to use the first time they access Online services for foreign investors.
The principal authority is a person responsible for the entity. Examples of principal authorities are listed on the RAM websiteExternal Link.
If your entity does not have an ABN, go to Accessing Online services for foreign investors.
We recommend you review the steps outlined below and have the information you need ready to complete them.
Once you have completed the steps, you:
- only need to use your myGovID to log in to Online services for foreign investors in future
- can authorise others to access the service on behalf of the entity.
You need a myGovIDExternal Link with at least a Standard identity strength.
myGovID is a Digital Identity app you download to your smart device. You use it to prove who you are when accessing government online services. It is different to a myGovExternal Link account.
If you already have a myGovID, go to Step 2: Link your myGovID to the business in RAM.
To set up your myGovID:
- Download the myGovID app from the App Store or Google Play.
Only download the myGovID app from the official app stores listed above. Non-genuine versions of the myGovID app may be available from other sources.
- Enter your details – open the app and follow the prompts to enter your full name, date of birth and personal email address.
- Verify your identity – set up a myGovID with either a Standard or Strong identity strengthExternal Link.
Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) is an authorisation service that allows you to act on behalf of a business online when linked with your myGovID. You'll use your myGovID to log in to RAMExternal Link.
If your myGovID is already linked to your business in RAM, go to Step 3: Log in to Online services for foreign investors.
Once your myGovID is linked to your business in RAM, you can:
- access Online services for foreign investors, and
- authorise representatives to access the service on behalf of the business.
Depending on your circumstances, you will:
To link your business online in RAMExternal Link, you must:
- be a principal authority (sole trader or eligible individual associate listed on the ABN in the Australian Business Register)
- have a myGovID with a Strong identity strength – this requires an Australian passport.
If you're unable to link online, contact the RAM support line to be linked to your business.
To link your business online:
- log in to RAMExternal Link
- select Link my business – you’ll be redirected to the ATO to find your business
- type your personal postal or residential address (as held by the ATO) and select Continue
- all eligible businesses will display – select the business you want to link and select Continue
- type your email address to receive your verification code (this can be different to the one used to set up your myGovID) select Send email then Continue
- don't close the web browser window or log out of RAM; the verification code is only valid for the current session
- type the 6-digit verification code from the email and select Verify then Continue
- view the summary of the selected business or businesses and select 'I understand and accept the declaration', then Submit
- a message will display confirming your business is successfully linked; select Continue
- go to Step 3: Log in to Online services for foreign investors to access Online services for foreign investors.
If you're unable to link online, you'll need to contact the RAM support line to link your business.
You need a myGovID with at least a Standard identity strength.
- phone 1300 287 539 and select option 3 to complete a proof of identity check (you may need details from your Medicare card, drivers licence, passport or other information on your ATO record)
- checks will be completed to confirm your association to the business
- once confirmed you will either
- receive an email with an authorisation code and summary of the authorisation request
- be asked to complete a formExternal Link (if you need to link 8 or more ABNs)
- log in to RAMExternal Link when you have the authorisation code to accept the request and complete the link within 7 days.
Use your myGovID to log in to Online services for foreign investors.
- Log inExternal Link or navigate to the top of the home page of our website (ato.gov.au) and select Log in then Foreign investor from the drop-down list.
- Type your myGovID email address – this is the email address used when you set up your myGovID.
- A 4-digit code will appear in your browser.
- Open and log in to your myGovID app on your smart device and enter the 4-digit code.
- Return to your web browser where Online services for foreign investors will open.
- The entity will be listed, select the entity then Next.
For more information about navigating the service, see General functions in Online services for foreign investors.
This is a one-off registration to be completed by the first authorised person to access Online services for foreign investors.
Note: If you are a sole trader, you must also prove your identity online.
To complete the one-off registration, select the entity, then Next (do not select Add).
The following information is mandatory unless specified optional.
Provide the below registration details unless specified as optional.
- Is the entity registering as a foreign person under the Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Act 1975?
- Date the entity became a foreign person
- If you already have an asset in Australia, use the date the asset was acquired (the date must be after 30 November 2015; if the asset was acquired before this date use 1 December 2015)
- If this is the first time you are investing in Australia, use today's date
- Entity type – company or trust (not applicable to sole traders)
- Is the entity a foreign government investor?
- Australian reference numbers: ABN or ARN (optional)
- Entity legal name
- Other business or trading name (optional)
- Country of incorporation
- Source country – this is the nationality of the investor, shareholder or trustee (if there is more than one source country, provide the percentage of ownership for each country. Total ownership must be 100%)
- Entity email address
- Phone number (optional)
- Entity registered address.
Note: This does not apply to sole traders.
Provide the below authorised contact details unless specified optional.
- Are you the primary business contact for this entity?
- Role – employee, business manager, director, owner
- Email address
- Phone number (optional)
- Other contact details
- Is there an alternate contact person for this entity?
Alternate authorised contact details (optional)
Note: This does not apply to sole traders.
Provide the below optional authorised contact details.
- Role – business manager, director, owner, lawyer or solicitor, migration agent, real estate agent, accountant, conveyancer, other
- First and last name
- Email address.
Review the summary of the details:
- to edit select Back to return to the relevant item
- select the declaration then Submit
- a message will display Your ATO registration has been successfully submitted
- you can print or save a PDF (we will email you confirmation in 5 business days).