Online software solutions are available through software providers and:
- ensure compliant, secure and streamlined transactions online anytime from any device
- allow you to notify us of your hosted Standard Business Reporting (SBR) software service, so you can securely interact with us using cloud software
- co-exist with online software, including compatible desktop solutions.
Use the SBR product registerExternal Link to confirm if your hosted SBR software provider is certified for the online cloud solution. Once you have subscribed to, or purchased SBR cloud-based software, you need to notify us of your hosted SBR software provider's details.
How to notify us
To complete your one-off notification, choose from the following options.
- If you're the entity's primary or authorised contact on our records, an eligible associate or authorised business staff, log in to Access Manager. Follow the steps to notify us of your hosted SBR software services.
- If you're having difficulties or you're a registered agent helping your client to notify, phone 1300 85 22 32 with the following information
- proof of record ownership (for example personal TFN, date of birth, address, recent ATO-generated notice)
- your Australian business number (ABN), or if you are a registered agent, you can use your registered agent number (RAN)
- the name or ABN of your software provider
- your unique software ID (provided by your software provider).
Can I have more than one online software provider?
Yes. You can have more than one online software provider.
Can I have multiple software IDs?
Yes. You can have multiple software IDs. Your software provider can advise you.
If I complete a notification for hosted SBR software services will this affect any of my other accounting programs?
No. You can use other accounting programs in addition to SBR software services. Check with your software provider on any specific changes relating to your individual programs.
Do registered agents need to complete a notification for each RAN?
If you're a registered agent and have multiple RANs, the notification applies to the ABN for the entire practice; you don't need to notify for each RAN.
Do registered agents have the authority to complete the notification on behalf of their client?
Yes. An agent can do the software ID notification on behalf of the employer regardless of whether they will be processing payroll/lodging the pay events.
Use the software ID registered, for the party that will be lodging. If they think that both the agent and/or the employer may lodge at different times, there is the ability to register multiple software IDs (for example the employers and the agent's software ID).
Why am I receiving an error when I lodge?
Ensure the following are correct:
- your tax practice ABN is the one you have linked to your agent number
- your client's TFN/ABN is correct and is linked to your RAN (if you have more than one RAN, check it is the correct one)
- where you have more than one ABN, you are using the right ABN (that is, the same ABN provided when completing your software provider notification or registered in Access Manager).
For more information see the Practitioner lodgment service (PLS) user guide.
Can I use cloud software for other government agencies?
The solution is implemented in the ATO Access Manager and is only for the ATO. A similar solution has been implemented for the Unique Student Identifier in Relationship Authorisation ManagerExternal Link. Other agencies may choose to leverage the latter solution.Standard Business Reporting cloud accounting software simplifies the way businesses and agents interact with the ATO.