ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Lodging a tax return for your business

Last updated 20 September 2017

If you are a sole trader, partnership, trust, or company, you have a choice in how to lodge your tax return.

How do you lodge your tax return?

You can lodge:

  • through a registered tax agent
    • contact them before 31 October if you haven't lodged with them before
    • check they are registered with the Tax Practitioners Board
  • online with myTax if you're a sole trader
  • using standard business reporting (SBR) enabled software if you're a company, trust or partnership
  • by paper.

Make sure you check your return before it's lodged, even if you use a tax agent.

When is your tax return due?

If you lodge:

  • through a tax agent, they will tell you when your tax return is due
  • the return yourself as a sole trader, partnership or trust, your tax return is due by 31 October
  • as a company, you will need to check the due date. If you have any outstanding tax returns, the due date is 31 October.

Next steps:

Find out about:


How to complete the business section in myTax 2017.