If you are a sole trader, partnership, trust, or company, you have a choice in how to lodge your tax return.
How do you lodge your tax return?
You can lodge:
- through a registered tax agent
- contact them before 31 October if you haven't lodged with them before
- check they are registered with the Tax Practitioners Board
- online with myTax if you're a sole trader
- using standard business reporting (SBR) enabled software if you're a company, trust or partnership
- by paper.
Make sure you check your return before it's lodged, even if you use a tax agent.
When is your tax return due?
If you lodge:
- through a tax agent, they will tell you when your tax return is due
- the return yourself as a sole trader, partnership or trust, your tax return is due by 31 October
- as a company, you will need to check the due date. If you have any outstanding tax returns, the due date is 31 October.
Find out about:
How to complete the business section in myTax 2017.