Show download pdf controls
  • Motor vehicle expense records you need to keep

    The records you need to keep for your business's motor vehicle expenses depend on how you calculate your claim. You will generally need to keep:

    • details of the kilometres travelled for business and private use
    • receipts for fuel, oil, repairs, servicing and insurance cover
    • loan or lease documents
    • tax invoices
    • registration papers
    • details of how you calculated your claim.

    If you are a sole trader or partnership using the logbook method, you will need to keep additional records.

    Keep your records for five years.

    See also:

    Last modified: 19 Jun 2019QC 59384