• Registration

    If you're starting a new business you should get an Australian business number (ABN). You should also apply for an AUSkey so you can deal with us online. You may also need to register for GST and other tax obligations. This will depend on the nature of your business.

    You can register for an ABN, business name, AUSkey and tax roles at one time, through the Australian Business Register.

    Once you're set up, you may need to add or cancel a registration - for example, if you start employing people you need to register for pay as you go (PAYG) withholding.

    If your business details change - for example, if you change your address or authorised contact person - it's a legal requirement to tell us within 28 days so we can update the Australian Business Register and pass on the changes to other government agencies.

    If you cease business, you'll need to cancel your ABN and any tax registrations you may have.

    Next steps:

    See also:

    Register your business
  • Last modified: 11 May 2015QC 31789