Show download pdf controls
  • Wine equalisation tax

    Wine equalisation tax (WET) applies to wine manufacturers, wholesalers, and importers. WET is a tax of 29% of the wholesale value of wine. It is only payable if you are registered or required to be registered for GST.

    If you operate a business that makes, imports or sells wines, you will need an ABN and be registered for GST and WET.

    See also:

    How to register for WET

    You can register for WET online through a Business PortalExternal Link message:

    • go to your Inbox, select 'New Message', then 'Registrations'
    • select 'WET, fuel tax credit, LCT registration' and add a message including the following:  
      • type of registration you are applying for – 'wine equalisation tax'
      • the date you want registration to take effect
      • the date you did, or will, become involved in manufacturing, wholesaling, importing or exporting alcoholic beverages
      • the percentage of your total turnover each of these represent - wine, beer, spirits, and other alcoholic beverages
      • a description of your activity in the alcoholic beverages industry (for example, manufacturer, wholesaler, importer, exporter, indirect marketer, retailer)

    You can also register for WET:

    How to cancel your registration for WET

    You can cancel your registration for WET:

    • online through a Business PortalExternal Link message  
      • go to your Inbox, select 'New Message', then 'Registrations'
      • select 'Cancellation' and add a message including 'wine equalisation tax' and the date you want your registration to be cancelled
    • through your registered tax agent or BAS agent
    • by phone – if you're an authorised contact for the business, phone our business enquiries line
    • by lodging the Application to cancel registration (NAT 2955) form, which you can order using our online publication ordering service for businessExternal Link.
    Last modified: 06 Feb 2017QC 31794