Show download pdf controls
  • Australian resident investor – refund application for tax file number (TFN) amounts deducted

    Use this form to claim a refund of amounts withheld by investment bodies when tax was withheld because you did not give us your tax file number (TFN) or Australian business number (ABN).

    These amounts may have been withheld from interest, dividends or unit trust distributions.

    An investment body could be your bank, building society, credit union, a company that you own shares in or a unit trust.

    Next step:

    Who can claim a refund?

    You can claim a refund if you received one of the following pensions or benefits and amounts were withheld:

    • age pension
    • disability support pension
    • wife pension
    • parenting payment (single)
    • widow b pension
    • special needs pension
    • carer payment
    • special benefit
    • veterans' affairs pension with a pensioner concession card.

    If you didn't receive any of these, you can lodge a tax return to claim the refund.

    An entity can claim a refund if either:

    • the account is in the name of a society, club or other organisation whose income is exempt under Division 50 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997
    • the account is the name of a non-profit company whose taxable income is not more than $416 a financial year.

    Note: If you are not an Australian resident for tax purposes and TFN withholding tax has been deducted from your investment income, phone us on 13 28 61 for advice.

    How to lodge your application

    Send your completed application and supporting documentation to:

    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 1032
    ALBURY  NSW  2640

    Remember to keep a copy of your application form for your records. Do not send the originals of your supporting documentation to us.

    Last modified: 05 Nov 2020QC 16544